Editor’s Note: The following is a guest blog post provided courtesy of Guard Your Health. More information and tools are available at www.guardyourhealth.com.
We all know that staying fit and exercising is important. We also know that staying motivated to work out on a regular basis can be hard.
That’s why finding a good workout buddy is one of the smartest fitness moves you can make. Working out with a buddy can give you:
When you work out by yourself, it’s easy to lose motivation. A buddy will support you and cheer you on to help you reach your fitness goals.
It’s easy to bail on your own workout. But it’s much harder to ditch a workout when you know you’re going to be letting someone else down. Having a reliable workout buddy will help you stick to your goals.
3. Friendly Competition
As humans, we like to be competitive—even if it’s just good, friendly competition among friends. A buddy will challenge and push you to do more than you might do alone.
Working out can be boring, especially during long cardio sessions. Having a buddy to talk with while working out will make the time go by faster.
5. Workout Variety
A buddy can share new exercises or workouts so that you can switch up your routine. This will keep your workouts fresh, as well as keep you motivated to try new moves.
So who qualifies as a good workout buddy? Here are some tips of what to look for when choosing one:
- A good attitude. You want someone who is encouraging and positive.
- A compatible style of motivation. You may need a drill sergeant to get motivated, or maybe a cheerleader.
- Similar schedules. You want someone who is dependable, as well as available to consistently work out with you at the same times.
- Similar fitness goals. You need to share similar fitness goals to be effective workout partners.
- You want someone who makes working out enjoyable and even fun.
Finding a workout buddy can be as easy as looking around the gym during your workout, or calling a fitness-minded friend.
- Check out these upper body and lower body workouts made specifically for partners.
- Try these #WarriorReady workouts with your workout buddy. Each 15-minute workout features four exercises that work your whole body and can be done anytime, anywhere.
- Get motivated together with these festive and fun workouts on Guard Your Health’s Tumblr page.
Navy Suicide Prevention Branch is a proud partner of Guard Your Health (www.guardyourhealth.com), a health and medical readiness campaign for Army National Guard Soldiers and their families sponsored by the Army National Guard Chief Surgeon’s Office. Guard Your Health provides Army National Guard Soldiers with the information, motivation, and support to overcome challenges and make healthy decisions for themselves, their families, and their units. To learn more about improving your health, visit the Guard Your Health website, like “Guard Your Health” on Facebook, and follow @ARNGHealth on Twitter. For more tips to max your APFT and stay mission ready, subscribe to FitText, Guard Your Health’s text message program, by texting FIT to 703-997-6747.